Thursday, April 22, 2010

Looking at Machines

I just bought two new machines (I'll put 'em up here once I've finished assembling them), so naturally I've been spending way too much time online looking at sewing machines. Ha.
One of the pages that caught my eye was this one:

This is from http://seikomachines.com/ It's interesting 'cause it's a totally slick site (with some awesome music, I might add--ha) advertising vintage-looking industrial machines. I want that beige one with the racing stripes on it! Unfortunately, it doesn't tell me where I can buy one (not that I've looked very hard)...but I don't really need any more machines. Ha.
It's also weird because they seem to be an Indian company and they use the Seiko name. In my understanding, Seiko is one of the Japanese sewing machine super powers. They used to make Consew's machines (or at least some of them) before Consew moved their ops to China.
Here's Seiko's website: http://www.seiko-sewing.co.jp/english/index.html
And on Seiko's page is says: "Important Announcement, March 1, 2010. We noticed that a company who sells industrial sewing machine [sic] is using 'SEIKO...' in their company name. But,we have no relationship to that company. "
Ha.

I also got an email offer for this weird machine:

It's an ultrasonic "sewing" machine for welding plastic together. Awesome.
Anyone wanna make some dry bags? You can contact 'em here:
Wuxi Meizhidian High Frequency Electronic Equipment Co., Limited
Address: No.35 Furong Industry Park, Bashi Town, Wuxi City, Jiangsu Province, China
.

4 comments:

Jeff said...

Cory-
Your blog has a ton of great information! Thank you.

Do you have any tips for cleanly and efficiently sewing webbing? My technique (or lack of) seems to be fairly slow and tedious and the walking foot makes it hard to keep the webbing aligned. I'm using a Sailrite LSZ1 machine.

Jeff

cory said...

Jeff,
When I was sewing with my Sailrite, I found it helpful to start in the middle of the webbing and stick the needle through the material before I lowered the presser feet. You should get less movement doing this.
Are you making an x-box pattern, or bartacking?
Hope this helps. Lemme know if you have anymore questions.

Unknown said...

Hey Cory,

I've recently stumbled upon your blog and you make some snazzy bags!

In fact, I even want to get my own sewing machine and start sewing some stuff. Do you have any recommendations as to a good beginner machine? I wouldn't like to spend too much and then realise I'm not really suited for sewing.

Augusto

cory said...

Thanks, Augusto.
You don't need anything too special to get started.
A home sewing machine with the right thread and needle will get you a long way. Also having a sewing awl helps too (15 bucks).
I made my first two bags with my mom's Singer 221 featherweight machine and an awl. If you don't know anyone with a machine, you can usually get old Singers (or copies) pretty cheap. Look for a Singer 66, 99, 138, or 201-3. Anything simple and heavy, really.
My first "industrial" machine was a Sailrite Ultrafeed, which is a uniquely portable and versatile machine that'll sew through anything.
And once you need professional stitches, look for a machine with a walking foot, preferably with needle feed, too (unison/compound feed).
Though, if you live anywhere with a garment or upholstery industry, you might be able to find a full-size industrial machine for not too much. Look for old Singer 111w/211's, Consews, Jukis, Pfaffs, Adlers...ad infinitum.
Hope this helps!