Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Bind That!

Finally getting my Juki 241 set up as a binding machine. I still have to order a motor belt and get my thread guides (which were mysteriously missing), but we're almost there. Woo.

This is a right-angle binder. These are good for attaching binding around curves.
Needle plate, folder, feet and feed dog.
This is the only off-the-shelf binder set I saw on the Internets for my type of machine (the Consew 206/Juki 241 unison-feed school). It's sold by a few different people out there, but I got mine offa eBay. I have no idea who makes it. Totally generic.

All the sewing shops I talked to only make custom binders (or order custom binders from somewhere else). You send in your binding and materials and samples of your sewn goods and they make you a binder. That's pretty cool, but it's also 3-4 hundred dollars.
Check out Atlanta Attachment Co. and New York Sewing Machine Co.
I was also told by Juki Am. that Bill's Sewing in NC is a good place to get attachments.

My intended usage is probably a bit more varied than a sewing factory's, so I thought I'd risk getting an off-the-shelf model. The risk, of course, is that it'll be a little too big and won't work properly with thinner material.
If that's the case, I'll order another folder and try my hand at soldering. Ha.
But I'm hoping that with this machine's compound feeding action it'll handle thickness variations better than other machines.
Needle plate recess makes things flush.
Get in there, grosgrain!


I was worried that my thicker 4088 binding wouldn't feed properly, but it's not a problem. Yeah.

4 comments:

mike said...

Its been great reading your posts. I just picked up a DNU-241H myself. Do you have any tips on using and maintaining it? I read the manual and the timing part is quite confusing. Have you done timing to your 241? I plan to sew mostly 1680D. Thanks

cory said...

Hi Mike,
Congratulations on getting your new machine.
Make sure to keep it clean and oiled...that's the best advice I can offer. Especially the hook.
You shouldn't have to worry about the timing if it's running fine now. These machines can go years without going out of time. If it is skipping stitches, timing can be tricky at first, but it's petty straightforward once you understand what you're doing.
Lemme know if you have any other questions at coryleif [at] gmail.com

Unknown said...

Hi Guys,
Where did you purchase the off the shelf binder?
Thanks, Jeff

cory said...

Hi Jeff,
There are a number of sellers on eBay: http://stores.ebay.com/CuTex-Sewing-Store/Attachments-Folders-/_i.html?_fsub=5570241012&_sid=53122962&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

You can buy them straight from China: http://www.kwokhing.com/KHF/

If you are doing a lot of binding on one item, a custom binder is the way to go. I hear TN Attachment is the place: http://www.tennattachment.com/index.html

Good luck!

c