Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Leif Labs x Sleadd

This is a laptop bag I made for my friend Mike. 22x14", 16x6" bottom. Cordura nylon & acrylic-coated polyester.
The screen print is from a drawing of his. See more of his artwork here.
This is probably the sweetest looking bag I've ever made.


Black on black.
This is only the second laptop-specific bag that I've made (see the other one here) and I wanted to try something a bit different this time...by making the laptop pocket without using Velcro, which is always a challenge of mine.

First I made a box pocket...
This is from one piece of fabric, no cuts. Some sweet origami action here. I'll have to try this sometime with thicker fabric...

And here's what it looks like sewn to the liner, with foam inside.


And this is what the foam looks like, covered in nylon packcloth. That thick strap there is to keep the computer from shifting from side to side, since there's no side padding. This way there's complete foam protection all the way around the 'puter. And this piece just slips into the box pocket, where there are lips to keep it in place.

I probably won't be making any more laptop bags like this...unless I can simplify the construction process a bit. Instead I'll stick with the sleeve-in-the-bag system.

No comments: